Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Week 5: math and literacy

We completed few more lessons from DISTAR program. Alhamdulillah I was able to see her progress.











She was rewarded whenever she finished a lesson. But we changed our reward every now and then because she did not like to get same reward again and again. We started with stickers and she got the first one when she finished lesson one. We stick it to our calendar. But the next day I found the rest of the stickers on the (body of) her Elmo and bunny and pillow. So we switched to tiny colorful eraser and still happy with that.
She traced these.



we read these phonics books.



We read lots and lots of books this week.  As soon we got home from library, RA finished all the books at once (of course by seeing all the pictures). Then we read and read slowly.











I printed these colorful number cards from here. I knew she was not ready to spell numbers but I did that just to get a variation in learning numbers. 










We played our number file folder game again. RA also played her number puzzle. Alhamdulillah now she can distinguish between six and nine as “sticks six, circle nine”.



She also completed these worksheets on concepts.




3 comments:

  1. Assalaamu Alaikum

    Masha Allaah! Sis what is DISTAR program? How do you find it with your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamu alaykum warahmatullah sis.
    I came to know about this DISTAR program from another sister’s blog. Before starting homeschooling I visited so many blogs now I can’t even tell which blog it was. They didn’t mention the word DISTAR, rather they mention the book name ‘teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. I did a little research and decided to go for it. At that time I felt like if it would not work we would follow the school system. But Alhamdulillah we are progressing. But we are doing the lessons very slowly. My daughter does not want to sit for it all the time and I don’t want her to feel any pressure. We just try to practice the sounds and words she learnt every now and then and she loves to do it Alhamdulillah. This program is very easy for me since everything is prepared, even what to say to your child. I just need to read every lesson first before I teach it.
    I hope I answered your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jazzakillaah Khayr sis, I have heard about this book but could not get hold of it. Does it teach phonics or sight words?

    ReplyDelete