Saturday, June 25, 2011

Week 7: math and literacy

It's calendar time:
Alhamdulillah RA got an idea about calendar. She knows there are twelve months in a year and seven days in a week.
She learnt the names of seven days.  We also read these books. 











I think they are hardly checked out. Few weeks ago I saw them on the shelf; I thought we might not get them when needed. But when we started our week 7 lessons I found all eight books there, apparently untouched.
We made this caterpillar and read all time favorite book ‘the very hungry caterpillar’. Both of my children like this book. 




















RA also learnt the names of twelve months in English. She needs a little help with Arabic months.We are still working on it. Hijri calendar was printed from talibiddeenjr site.



She knows the names of four seasons. We did this worksheet on four seasons. 











Another worksheet on day and night.


Two very helpful books we read this week. "Big Time Bears" is all about time and days, years and seasons. Since RA likes this book so much I had to read it to her many times.


We also did learn about clock time. Alhamdulillah she knows when the big arrow is on twelve only then we can say “o’clock”. I decided not to go beyond o’clock time now. I printed the clock from this site. Here is RA changing clock time and telling the time. 










We also printed the month, date and year cards from the same site. 


We also kept crossing the days on calendar as we are passing days.


 Here RA was sequencing all the number cards with my help. Alhamdulillah She can count up to 30 , but she can identify 1-12 now.



We put all our materials on a board. We made this from an old cardboard box. I cut the box and pasted some construction papers on it. RA took some formerly leftover pieces of construction papers and cut them into tiny pieces. I let her decorate the board with them. She was so happy for that chance and it kept her busy for a long time. I found the board very helpful for putting all the material we learnt at that week.


We did one reading lesson. 


I felt that RA was not much interested in reading lessons, so I decided not to burden her. Probably I will do the lessons in another way.
Others books of that week-


4 comments:

  1. Masha Allaah very nice. Little lady is grown up now Allaahu Baarik Laha.

    Sis I am not forcing this on to you, why not you try Glenn Doman;s method with her for reading. She might enjoy it for this age and may be next year you can do your reading lessons with her when her attention span is more Insha Allaah! But of course if you are not convinced with Glenn Doman's method do not do it. This is only a suggestion Insha Allaah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamu alaykum sis.
    It seems you have read my mind.I have been thinking about the method you are following for few days. I am not following the Distar program book line to line for some times. Because as you said her attention span is still very little. But I see her progressing in a systematic way, very slowly though. In the meantime she knows some words without distar program. It is because she sees those words often. I think glenn doman’s method teaches that way. (?)(I am not sure since I don’t know anything about that program. I just got this idea from your blog.) It came to my mind if I show her words on a regular basis she will probably know them inshaAllah. So could you please tell me where can I get more information about this method?
    Jazakallahu khair for your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insha Allaah here is the link for all details on Glenn Doman's Method.

    http://ummmaimoonahrecords.blogspot.com/2011/06/teach-your-baby-to-read.html

    Hope this helps Insha Allaah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a pity, that I saw this blog posts so lately... Teaching the kids is often a hectic journey, particularly when you reside in a relatively backward country. We are loaded with the materials so poor in the scales of Deen & Dunya, that often I thought of making a book by myself for the kids.

    But, better late than never!
    So, I guess, I will be another one following your week by week learning journey, and make use of the resources. I also ask for the patience for our part (seems you have plenty!) and ask Allah SWT's help, because, we can do nothing but try!

    My prayer includes you all, don't forget to include us in your prayer...

    ReplyDelete